Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Darwin

I got into Darwin about 1am and headed into town and to my hostel which I'd prebooked. Didn't seem to be anywhere I could watch the Champions league final (on at 415am here) so I went to bed. I had three full days in Darwin, which was a bit of chance to regroup and enjoy western comforts. The first day I went shopping a bit and got myself some decent shoes for walking in, a new hat, a guidebook, and various other odds and ends that I needed, as well as going to the supermarket as after seeing the prices, cooking for myself in the hostel was the only way forward. In the evening I went to the market at Mindil Beach, which was pretty nice. It was mainly food stalls with a few bands playing and craft stalls. It was a bit like strawberry fair in Cambridge but with more class and much nicer. I realised this was because there was no alcohol! On the downside there was no alcohol.

The next day I headed down to the harbour, visiting the underground oil storage tunnels from the war, and various points of intrest with boards to read (including the interesting story of this Scotsman's raft trip before heading to the wharf for some delicious fish and chips for lunch! Afterlunch I took in a sort of Aquarium display that had recreated reed ecosystems, which was pretty interesting before just taking a walk along the esplanade.

On my last day I headed north, getting to the Fanny Bay (yes really) Prison Museum, where I was lucky enough to join a one off free guided tour which was very informative, then I went to the Museum of the northern territory, which had a really excellent mix of natural history and art (and was free) including sweetheart, a massive stuffed crocodile. Like everything else in Darwin there was also a lot about the war, where Darwin was bombed by the Japanese (the same planes that bombed pearl harbour, and they dropped more bombs on Darwin) and also a lot about Cyclone Tracy which completely flattened the town in the 70s. Afterwards I took a walk back via the Botanic Gardens, but they were not in their normal state as there was a massive music festival going on (Bass in the Grass, shall someone else point it out to them or shall I?) featuring Powderfinger and Wolfmother as well as some quality pasifika which I overheard. That evening I went out with a nice young German couple who were in my dorm, we went to the Vic, a cheap and cheerful backpackers bar that was certainly an experience. By 930 people were dancing on tables, and the atmosphere was like the garage/WPR just before closing. Didn't stay too long as it was a 6am start the next day.

Photos (not very exciting):

In the oil storage tunnels.

An old gun by the sea.

Boats in the museum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

update!!!