Saturday, June 28, 2008

Melbourne part 2 featuring Great Ocean Road

The day after the Penguin trip I went on the Great Ocean Road trip. This headed off very early in the morning, on a rather cold and windy day. After driving for a bit we got down to the Coast. We stopped first at Bells Beach, where part of Point Break is set apparently. The next stop was a lighthouse, the one used in Round the Twist! Had a bit of a walk around there and then a cup of tea, before heading back in the bus. There was a brief stop at Memorial Arch, the official start of the great ocean road, and as far as I can remember the next stop was for lunch in Apollo Bay. Now I remember, we stopped before that to see some Koalas and Rosellas, in the wild this time. After lunch there was quite a bit more driving and stops at the main attractions, there were the 12 Apostles and Loch Ard Gorge. The 12 Apostles (of which around 7 remain) are large rock stacks on the coast and are pretty scenic. Loch Ard Gorge (anoingly pronounced more like Lockhart Gorge by the guide!) is named after a ship which was wrecked there with the loss of all but two lives. There were 3 short walks to do and more spectacular cliffs and beaches. The final stop was at 'London Bridge' a single arch cut off from the mainland (it used to be double arch but the inner one collapsed a few years ago - A couple were marooned on the outer arch until rescued by helicopter - the guys wife was not pleased when she saw him on the tv during his business trip!). Anyway, it was a decent trip, but the weather was damn cold, and I was feeling a bit down and antisocial due to my still missing bag and I didn't really speak to anyone on this trip. On returning to the hostel I found out the bag was found and was much relieved!

The next day I did some washing and then headed to St Kilda, to first pick up my bag and then have a look around. It was nice down by the pier in St Kilda but it was a pretty grey and cold day. In the afternoon I went to the Ian Potter Gallery of Australian Art, which was again very good. I was going to head to the contemporary art gallery on my way back, but I was a bit galleried out by this point. Next day I headed to Canberra on the bus at around noon. Despite setting my alarm for 430 a couple of times to watch Euro 2008 matches, I never made it up!

Photos:
Round the Twist Lighthouse!

Some of the 12 Apolstles.

London Bridge.


St Kilda Pier.

No comments: