Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Pondicherry

Well good job I didn't sign that contract with the Guardian! Well Yesterday after getting to Chennai on the train I got straight on the bus to Pondicherry. Turns out there's not much to do in Pondicherry. You can wander through the vaguely nice looking old French quarter, you can go to the pretty awful museum which feature lots of rocks and some miniature toilets (await picture), and you can eat in a nice pizzeria, or slightly French restaurants (which didn't have a licence so served me beer in a teapot) but that's about it so I left the next morning. I did stay in a nice hotel with a nice breakfast which lots of fruit and freshly baked french bread, a pleasant change from Masala Dosa! There was a Young French guy and older French woman chatting in French at breakfast, and I was able to understand almost everything they said, which bodes well for Brussels, but then the guys wife/girlfriend/whatever appeared and joined in and I could hardly understand a word she said!

The town did have quite a pleasant atmosphere in the evening in the busier more Indian part of town but I would really recommend it. This morning I got on the bus for a pleasant 2 hour jaunt up the coast road to Mamallapuram. Now I see with relief that it's only about 20 degrees in Hanoi!

No comments: