Saturday, March 1, 2008

Chennai (Madras)

I got to Chennai just before lunch on Thursday, and was flying out the following evening. I'd also arranged to meet the son of one of mum's colleagues (and my former teachers) for a drink as he works for the UK high comision in Chennai. As the bus station is miles out of town my first tast was to get to where the hotels were. The auto-rickshaw drivers wanted a scandalous 200 Rupees so I decided to brace the city bus (for 4 Rupees instead). I think I accidently sat in the womens section, but I managed to stay there until the bus broke down and we had to transfer to another one.

Anyway, I made it to my hotel, and then had lunch nearby where I had the Thali served on a banana leaf and actually did the proper eating rice and daal with hands thing for the first time in India. In the afternoon I took in the Museum (not bad) before going to my meeting for a drink at a very posh hotel, despite the best efforts of the very annoying Chennai Auto drivers. Chris, being a thistle fan, was of course a nice guy, and we had a few pichers of beer before heading on to another exceptionally posh hotel, the likes I'd not been in in India, for some more beers. Unfortunately I forgot to eat dinner and ended up rather the worse for wear and was even unable to take the single malt I was generously offered!

Well I survived anyway, and next-day went see the only other vaguely touristy thing in Chennai, the fort, which was closed. So with nothing else to do in a rahter boring and smoggy city I ended up going to the airport early - not too upset at the prospect of getting out of India!

No comments: