Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Melaka

An early morning start from Jerantut got me to Melaka at about 230pm, or rather to the massive out of town bus station where I ate before getting the local bus into town. Had a slight problem finding accommodation, but ended up pretty happy at Tony's place, where I met a nice Dutch guy and girl and agreed to meet up later for dinner. It was getting on when I headed to see the old town, built in a Dutch style, with a (recently added) windmill. Near by there was a strip with around 15 different museums. I chose not to go to another history museum, not the democracy, stamp, architecture or Islamic museums, but instead to the beauty museum. This had very interesting displays on the various tortures people put themselves through to look attractive. While there were many items on tribal practices, such as scarification, lip plates and (the one I couldn't cope with) tooth filing, there were also other more modern items, such as Chinese foot binding, corsetry and, of course, tattooing. After this the other museums were closing so I visited the ruined church on the hill and went to view a reconstructed ship in harbour. Then, rather more importantly, I bought a dashing hat to replace the one I'd lost in Bangkok.

After meeting up with with the two Dutchies, we also met up by chance with another Dutchie and an English girl (the Dutch guy having cyled 20000kms to get here) and we all went for dinner at a great tandoori place before going for a few beers (my vows of abstinence in heavily taxed Malaysia shattered) before it degenerated into One hen couple of ducks three etc etc.

The next morning after a leisurely breakfast (where I first discovered baked beans are plentiful in Malaysia) there was only time for us to visit the vast Stadhuys (townhall) with museum (where much was learned about admiral Cheng Ho) before I had to head off to the bus station, having a quick lunch there before catching my 130pm bus to Singapore.

Photos:
Old Square.

Ship in harbour (now a museum).


Street lit at night.

No comments: