Sunday, May 11, 2008

Danau Toba and Bukittingi

First while I remember let me share some of the rules from my hotel in Medan:
"No off elektrical appliancesis trickly"
"Don't throwing deposit anywhere and don't writing on the wall"
I think I managed to obey.

Danau Toba was about 10 hours total journey from Bukit Lawang, and I did most of it in mini-bisus just trying not to be too ill. Once more I didn't see any other westerners on this trip, until the ferry over to Tuk-tuk where there was a typical Ozzie. Danau Toba is a huge crater lake with an island in the middle, at a height of 900m. It's so big that you can't really see that it's an island so can't get an impression of the craterness. The volcanic explosion that created it thousands of years back left particles all over the planet. Now the island is a bit of a resort, though it was mainly locals when I was there. I spent two nights here and did absolutely nothing: just ate (at the rather disappointing restaurant) and read and slept in order to convalesce. I didn't even go in the water as it didn't look that inviting (it could get a bit chilly at 900m) and I also wanted to stay out of whatever sun there was.

After two nights there I took the overnight (18hour) bus to Bukttingi. By this time I'd almost got better, but I'd lost my guide book and was a bit lonely. As the bus was air conditioned it was a bit chilly in my shorts, again I was the only westerner and everyone else seemed to have brought a blanket. I had to use my sense of direction when I got to Bukttingi (which means big hill) and eventually found an almost helpful tourist office where they pointed me towards a guest house. As ever they were very friendly there and I spent the afternoon looking at the canyon, the Japanese tunnels from the war time, fort de cock (a very crappy dutch fort) which came with a pretty depressing attached zoo. The next day I went on an all day tour with one other person, a Dutch guy. Given that there was a driver and a guide and us two were in the back of the car it felt like a family trip rather than a tour. We saw various things that were unspectacular on there on but gave us a feel of the area. As well as a meeting house we saw a coffee plantation and factory and various things that escape my mind, but it was a good day and I ended up being challenged to a game of badminton by the guide. I had to get some new shoes for this (hard to get a big enough size) which allowed me to throw away my old ones which were pure stinking! In the end I was comprehensible gubbed, being well unfit and out of practice, I'd still have been gubbed anyway, but would have given more of a game. The next day I got a minibus to the airport where I was to fly to Jakarta, as I didn't fancy the 30+ hour bus journey that was the other option.


Photos:

The uninviting water at Danau Toba where I convalesced. 
Gorge at Bukittingi.

Bear doing its exercises.


Strange waterwheels. 

No comments: