Sunday, May 4, 2008

Penang (Georgetown)

Penang was somewhere I was really just going to get the boat to Sumatra, but there's only one boat a day so I had an afternoon and evening to spend there. It was quite pleasant, a former British colonial outpost with grander buildings than the almost village like Dutch structures in Melaka. I visited the fort which, was pretty good, and had some Mina birds I was tempted to teach to swear in Scottish. I aslo went to the museum, which unfortunately I only had 30 mins in before it shut. It was surprisingly good as it was so cheap and only about Georgetown (the main town on Penang Island, also sometimes called Penang). I had good cheap Chinese and Indian meals here too, as like all town in Malaysia it comes with a Chinatown and a little India. I bought my ticket for the boat to Sumatra the next morning, and was a bit shocked at the price, it would probably have been cheaper to fly. Next morning after a lot of waiting around to clear customs I finally left Malaysia about 10am (though I had finally left mainland Eurasia the day before!).


Photos:
Can't remember who he is, first governor probably.

Replica of first camp, inside the fort.

Colonial Building.

No comments: